From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 23:48:16 EDT
Diana,
Have the mom take altoids or suck on peppermints....often tapers off milk
supply slightly.  Works better than peppermint tea....What type of sage is she
taking?  Sage drops from Motherlove work...2 dropperful three times a day.
Also, have the mom gently compress the outer aspect of the breast while nursing in
her sidelying or reclining position.  She can do this with the palm of her
hand while supporting the breast in the hamburger bun hold.  Lastly, I'd advise
her on a pumping regime to slowly tweek down her supply.  In addition to the
pumping prior to baby nursing, pump off milk after the feedings to point of
comfort...then reduce the length of time pumping to stopping at point that milk
spray lessens.  Or, if someone needs a specific number to guide her, I say
reduce the pumpings by 1 minute if she feels comfortable after pumpings.  I
imagine you've already tried cabbage leaves, too.  Lastly, position baby in
sitting-up position such as straddling mom's leg while in football hold, or if used to
cross-cradle, then have feet lower than head.
Good-luck!  I hope she's able to reduce the flow soon.  These cases of
oversupply issues are a joy to resolve!  Moms continue to have lots of milk and
babies fatten-up in leaps and bounds!  It's not uncommon to see babies gaining 2
oz. per day in my practice.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL