From:
Edie Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 19:52:53 -0500
Lana Matthews wrote:
"Every woman I assist to even go one more day is important enough for me
to accept that mother's efforts and encourage her in her parenting .. by
feeling good about this experience she may go on to nurse another baby
longer, or encourage her loved ones to consider breastfeeding.  If I
reject her choices to use a pump, or leave an occasional bottle I lose
my chance to help her again."  In our consideration of the ethics of
LC's and breastfeeding equipment, etc. we need not to lose sight of
this.  No matter what container the breastmilk comes in, isn't even one
more day of it far, far preferable than its alternative?
Edie Armstrong BSN, IBCLC, Fairfax, Va.