From:
Lana Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:41:34 -0500
When I began my practice in '86 I did not have pumps, preferring to refer
my clients to an independant source.  This was a continual source of
frustration, parents already overwhelmed with the new baby would take days
to get around to picking up a pump, would get single rather than double
kits, picked up small junk pumps unable to do the job because it was
cheaper, or sometimes the parents would switch to formula and bottles
because it was 'easier'.  The advice given by the pharmacie employees was
frequently wrong, or sometimes non-existent!
    Eventually  I decided to try having a few pumps available for my
clients.  I have the knowledge to help them learn about the pump, use it,
and overcome and challenges.  The number of clients who were wiling to
stick it out and go on to the benefits of breastfeeding went up
remarkably.  Parents sigh with relief that they do not have to run around
 looking for a pump.
     Let's keep in mind our goal to help women to breastfeed their babies.
 Only a few will nurse exclusively to child led weaning, and I applaud
these wonderful women.  Ever women I assist to even go one more day is
important enough for me to accept that mother's efforts and encourage her
in her parenting .. by feeling good about this experience she may go on to
nurse another baby longer, or encourage her loved ones to consider
breastfeeding.  If I reject her choices to use a pump, or leave an
occasional bottle I lose my chance to help her again.
Gotta go, my limit is one hour and there are only seconds left.
regards, lana

--
Lana Matthews GMLT, IBCLC  ([log in to unmask])