From:
"emily.i.nolan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:30:03 -0600
I've closely followed the recent thread regarding "Breastfeeding in Combat Boots," and one question keeps coming to mind. Given the warranted emphasis on correct term use, at what point is a mother considered to be "breastmilk feeding," rather than "breastfeeding?" If only one nursing session a day is replaced with expressed milk, is the mother no longer considered to be breastfeeding? Does it take two sessions? Three? What if baby is reverse-cycling? In my reading, I frequently come across the terms "exclusively breastfeeding," which does not, to my knowledge, make a clear distinction in what percentage of feedings are given at the breast, and "exclusively pumping," which does. Please don't mistake my post for anything other than a very genuine desire for information- I'm still very new to lactation support, and strive to be precise in my use of language.

- Emily in FL