From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 22:21:00 EDT
<<
 Would child protection agencies take babies away from HIV positive mothers
 who refused to breastfeed? >>

sure they would, because "we know" those low income, low education moms
couldn't be trusted to fully breastfeed. and they probably wouldn't, with all
the formula available everywhere.

the post by carol (what a great name) l'esperance about wic was fine; it is
not reasonable to try to get everyone to "remain friendly" by sweeping an
important issue under the rug. that is to say, i ain't going to start pushing
formula to make everyone happy that disagrees with me.

the other important point to remember about wic and free formula: it isn't
free. all that money that is spent on formula could accomplish amazing things
in terms of breastfeeding promotion and support. and, if it is SO darned
crucial to give out free formula to prevent infant death and dismemberment
(wasn't that the rationale?) then we should give out every last drop the
little darlings need for the entire first year. or does wic like to disagree
with the pediatricians?

carol brussel IBCLC
not seeking consensus based on falsehood

carol brussel IBCLC