From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 08:00:09 -0400
From: Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: herbs in nipple cream, wheat germ oil

Hi, Kathy! I am incredibly lonely, not to mention antsy, but only

another week to go (I hope!). Would you do me a favor and forward

these questions to the network?
Hi, everyone! I'm on pins and needles until I join you guys
again, but meanwhile I have a couple of questions. Yesterday I
went to a lovely seminar featuring Marshall Klaus. On display was

a new local cream coming out on the market in 2 months for sore
and cracked nipples, made from herbs and plant extracts, and the
instructions say to apply liberally and not to wipe it off before

feedings. I looked up the ingredients in my herbal books once I
got home. The ones OK, as far as I know, are calendula, myrhh,
lanolin, hypericum, and yarrow. I'm having trouble with *arnica*
and *wheat germ oil*. One of my books (my favorite) says that
arnica should not be used if the skin is broken, and that it
should not be taken internally as it can be toxic (the
instructions say to apply liberally and not to wash off before
feeding). Wheat germ oil is vitamin E, right? Breast milk
contains
vitamin E and there is a RDA for infants of 5 IU (Riordan &
Auerbach). Besides, I can't remember where I heard or read this,
but I was under the impression that vitamin E should be used only

as a last resort on very damaged nipples, wiped off before feeds,

and used only for 6 days. I am torn on this, since the rest of
the ingredients seem to be on the mark. Any and all help would be

greatly appreciated.
*N.B.!!* Please write me privately at my email address, since I
can't rejoin Lactnet for about another week, and I don't want to
"lose" anyone's input. Rita I. - I remember that you were very
herbwise, and Martha and the other RDs - I got bogged down in IUs

RDA, and kcal with the vitamin E. I miss y'all awfully, but the
upside is my husband already ordered my plane tickets for Kansas
City in July!!! Yes!
TIA, and hugs all around. Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, Israel, where

Jurassic Park is in the hospitals
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Co-Owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L E-mail lists
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
"The better part of one's life consists in his friendships." Abraham
Lincoln, 1849.