Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:56:02 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
One post that occurred over the last week talked of cutting off a feeding tube above the multiple holes in the tip before using it for finger feeding or supplementing at breast.  I have a couple concerns with this approach.  First, I would worry that the sharper cut edges could be irrritating inside baby's mouth.  Secondly, the tube should be far enough in the baby's mouth to deliver the milk at approximately the same location as it would be delivered directly from the breast in which case, it would be inserted past the holes nest to the tip.  Also, milk delivered from the breast comes out more like the "spray" setting on a spray bottle while delivery from an artificial nipple is more like the "stream" setting on a spray bottle. If so, then wouldn't the multiple holes at the end of the feeding tube be a little more like delivery from the breast?  Unless you are feeding especially "thick" colostrum, I still would prefer using a 3.5F tube rather than the 5F since it is less invasive.  I know it is sometimes hard to come by the smaller ones (I think their usual use is with tinier babies, hence only being available on a NICU unit).  It might be that the holes are closer to the end in a 3.5 than they are in a 5.

Incidentally, I have used the spray bottle analogy in teaching.  I have the participants see what the difference is between squirting some water into their mouth from the "spray" vs. "stream" settings.  I feel this shows how a baby might feel when milk streams out of an artificial nipple.  Kind of like "Here it comes, ready or not!"

Winnie

P.S. It was good to touch base with so many of you at the Conference. 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2