From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:16:59 -0500
Funny - I'd forgotten I was so irreverent in that one! Anyway - I put that
in there because a lot of moms are reluctant to nurse after even one or two
drinks (in spite of education about how little alcohol actually passes via
the milk) - so I do suggest pump and dump if a feeding is missed. As I
posted earlier today, I have a low storage capacity, and missing even one
feeding did impact my milk supply - so for moms like me, I do recommend
pumping if even one bottle of stored milk is used instead of a breastfeed.
And, as I said before, this isn't necessary for every mom - but if moms get
the idea that they can just give a bottle instead of feeding whenever they
want to (without pumping) then it's a fast and slippery slope to reduced
supply.
So - to clarify, the pumping is not about getting rid of the alcoholic milk,
it's about preserving milk supply.
As for milk left out overnight, if that milk were pumped during the day
(say, at noon), then chilled from noon to 6, then left out from 6pm to the
following 6 or 7am, I would not feel comfortable using it. Sure, it's
probably fine, but once we go over that 10 hours at room temp mark, I get
less comfortable making a blanket recommendation.

Kirsten