From:
Shaughn Leach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:16:54 +0900
Jan I haven't explained enough - I will attempt to describe what I mean but
might tie myself up in knots - so much easier with visuals than words:

If you use the cross-cradle/transition hold the heel of the mother's hand
sits somewhere across the baby's shoulder blades with head tilting back into
the u shape of the fingers (or something similar).  If a mother has been
using this hold but would like to learn the cradle I explain to the mother
that the principles are the same.  You replace the hand that has been used
to stabilise the shoulders with the heel of the opposite hand over the same
area.  The rest of the baby's body needs to be in close contact with
mother's body to give the stability required and low enough so the baby's
head can tilt backwards over mother's forearm and then come onto the breast
from underneath.   If you have one of Rebecca Glover's pamphlets it
describes the cradle hold as well as the transition hold.  The photos on her
website can give some idea but usually the mothers don't need the other hand
to support the baby's body if they are using their own body for support.
Then they can use the other hand as they wish. The mother's body is in close
contact with her baby's body but the hand is giving the baby stabilisation
across the shoulders as with the other holds.

I would think that tribal (?right term) women tend to let the baby drop into
their lap (sitting on floor) but they still have a stabilising hand or arm
across the upper back and interestingly the babies are often looking up
which means they probably came to the breast from underneath.   Haven't had
much time to look for images to show what I am saying but the sites below
are just a couple I could find quickly that show the stabilising hand.

http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_images/no_1_reason.jpg
http://www.rebeccaglover.com.au/positioning.html
http://www.avert.org/photo_library/images/normal_photo_no_1180.jpg

Not sure if that is any clearer!!