From:
Karen Seroussi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 17:04:02 EST

<<
 I guess my  concern would be regarding the toddlers ability to handle a
 bolus of solid food . I was fortunate enough to hear Wolf and Glass (OT's)
 speak and they indicated that toddlers (about 1 Yr) should have some solids
  so they can develop the chewing and swallowing skills. I would think  if
 too much time elapses before solid foods are started  these toddlers may
 not want to swallow  solids, sort of like people who can not swallow a tiny
 pill. >>

I want to share an interesting situation that relates to this theory.

Locally, we had a boy with an unusual GI tract problem, can't remember what
syndrome it was, but anyway he could not take anything by mouth for his entire
life (tube implanted in his side directly to his stomach).  At the age of
about 9 he underwent a multi-organ transplant to remedy the situation.  He
went on to learn to eat after healing, including all the foods he always
wanted to try, like (such healthy choices) pizza and cheeseburgers.  Though I
don't know this family personally, the newspapers made much about his recovery
and showed photos of him enjoying the ability to finally eat.  I don't know if
he had difficulty learning to handle a bolus of food, but the news stories
indicated that he could eat solid foods.

I also have personal experience with a late eater.  My middle son refused all
solids, and would vomit if they were placed in his mouth.  He started to
experiment with solid foods (just barely tasting a small range of foods) at 9
months but didn't really consume foods in any quantity until he was close to
29 months.  One of the characteristic behaviors he displayed was chewing on
food, sometimes for a very long time (like a piece of gum) and then spitting
out the remaining parts.  He had several sensitivity symptoms (behavior, ill
health), but not an obvious allergic reaction to any one food.  He seemed to
improve quickly when I modified both of our diets and used a homeopathic
constitutional remedy.

As he approached 2, his immune system seemed to improve.  Previously he would
get everything that was going around and have it for twice as long as anyone
else in the family.  Gradually, his body was able to fight off the small colds
the way the rest of the family did and now he is normal and healthy, eats a
range of foods with no problem.   I really don't know how well this child
could have done if he had not been breastfed.

My other two children (one older, one younger) belonged to the rip the food
out of mom's hand and stuff it in your mouth school.  So, I know it is not
anything I did differently with this one child.  They also have robustly
healthy immune systems and are much milder in temperment.

Karen Seroussi, LLLL