Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 18:37:48 EDT
I had a new mom call me this evening to say she had a sore throat, and when
she looked at her throat in the mirror she saw a white spot on her tonsils.
She had read that white spots inside her baby's cheeks meant thrush, so she
asked me if the white spot on her tonsil meant she had thrush.  The mom was
concerned that she would pass it to her baby and didn't want to "risk"
kissing him.
She didn't see any white in her baby's mouth, no diaper rash, she didn't have
sore nipples, and hadn't received any antibiotics.  I told her I didn't know
what her white spot could be and since it was a medical, rather than a
breastfeeding, question to contact her HCP provider for a throat culture.
So anybody heard of an adult having thrush in their throat?  Would it present
as a sore throat and a white spot or spots on the tonsils?  Could it be strep
throat?  Just wondering for my own education.
Cynthia D. Payne, LLLL