ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rita Mukherjee Hoffstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:46:03 -0400

Hi Andrea (and Everyone),

The traditional definition of science centers vs. museums has been the possession of a collection. Thus, older informal science institutions have been "museums" while younger institutions are called "centers." This applies to children's museums as well. For an excellent quick overview of the evolution of science museums/centers, I recommend Alan Freidman's 1996 article in The Informal Science Review. The full citation is listed below:

Friedman, A. 1996. " The Evolution of Science and Technology Museums" The Informal Science Review (pp.1, 14-17) (March/April 1996)

Hope this helps,
Rita

--
Rita Mukherjee Hoffstadt
Assistant Director of Traveling Exhibits and Special Projects