ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Pete St. John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:26:58 -0400

Rae-
We use MPEG (ADTEC EDJE units) players almost exclusively here at MOE.  The
benefit is that they are intended to run without interruption, can be
networked, control lighting displays, and programmed to respond to
buttons.  However, the negative is that they require a fair amount of
training to program and install and are very sensitive to power
interruptions.  Yet, when they are working, it's great, as we only have to
turn on the screen/speakers every morning.  When they break, and for
smaller temporary exhibits, we use just a simple run of the mill DVD player
that we get at Wall Mart (no more than $40).  Like Kathy said, the only
draw back is that you need the remote at start up each morning.  Beyond
that, they've seemed to last playing 8hrs a day 7 days a week for, at
minimum, 6 months and most are still ready to go when needed.

Pete St. John
Exhibit Manager
Museum of the Earth
At 08:30 PM 6/29/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>
>A question for exhibit designers.  I am in charge of creating an
>exhibit that will have a 6 minute video loop as part of the display.
>Can anyone reccomend what equipment will allow me to play the
>video/DVD and have it loop continuously?
>Thanks for the input.
>Rae Alexander
>--
>Rae Alexander
>Director
>North Coast Nature Center
>707.464.3633
>www.northcoastnaturecenter.org

>More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
>Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org.
>To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

Pete St. John
Exhibit Manager
Museum of the Earth at the Paleontological Research Institution
1259 Trumansburg Road, Ithaca, NY14050
Ph: (607) 273-6623 ext. 28
Fax: (607) 273-6620
Email: [log in to unmask]

NOW SHOWING!
Art/Soul/Africa: A Photographer’s Journey
by Sheryl Sinkow
MAY 6 – AUGUST 20, 2006