ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:02:10 +0000

At 22:06 06/01/2007, Karen Reeds wrote:

>For anyone who is thinking about Darwin, Creation, evolution,
>religion, and related issues, Alfred Russell Wallace's obituary on
>Darwin is  worth reading in full.

Alfred Russell Wallace's obituary on Darwin was tricky to find on the
Darwin-Online website. It is here
http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?itemID=A106&viewtype=side&pageseq=1

While searching, I stumbled across Wallace's own obituary. This is an
interview/obituary by W. B. Northrop printed in the 22 November 1913
edition of the New York magazine The Outlook:
http://www.wku.edu/~smithch/wallace/S753.htm

Looking back at such writings proves that Darwinism's early
interaction with religion was far more complex than the polarised,
black-and-white, modern myth.

Wallace, whose idea of a good night out was to attend a spiritualist
seance, came within an inch of being acclaimed as the first
discoverer of evolution by natural selection. We very, very nearly
had 'Wallace-ism' not Darwinism. He said:

"...most persons think Darwin was an atheist, but they do not
understand his work..."
:
"I am one who believes there is something in man that is infinite and
which differs in nature as well as in degree from anything which is
seen in the lower animals."
:
"To call the spiritual nature of man a 'by-product,' developed by us
in our struggle for existence, is a joke too big for this little
world. It was on this very point that I differed from Darwin, and it
is on these points that I cannot meet the modern materialists who say
that man is merely an animal and there is nothing for him beyond the grave."
:
"The world has been moved far more by spiritual forces than by
material and selfish ones. Neither Darwin nor Moses has yet conquered
mankind. Life, with its mysteries of consciousness and personality,
is still the dumping-ground of theories and dreams."

[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell