ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:44:51 -0800

> We need a president who took as much interest in science as
> Jefferson or Kennedy.

or John Quincy Adams, who tried in vain to persuade a pre-Civil War Congress to approve funds for a National Observatory. Late in his life, J. Q. Adams laid the cornerstone for the nation's first major observatory, the Cincinnati Observatory, where the former president delivered his last public address. More info:

< http://www.cincinnatiobservatory.org/history.html >

> Get enough scientists, or people who are interested in
> science, to even modestly inundate politicians with books

Politicians are so busy, if they were interested in reading science books I think they would already be doing so. If we are lucky, an aide may be assigned to read such a donated book. Otherwise, maybe it would be placed on a bookshelf some place where the public could see it--or maybe it would be donated to a library.

Another idea might be to donate such books directly to public libraries--in honor of a politician, with the politician's name on the bookplate and the library sending notification of the honor to the politician. Maybe this would get their attention!

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
  < http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
  < http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
  < http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
  < http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
  < http://incline.pghfree.net >
* Public Transit:
  < http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >