ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:55:53 -0700

This is a thorny issue about which I have been polling people at the Museums and the Web conference which I am currently attending.

The consensus is that if peoples images are going to be published on the web by the museum, they must explicitly have given permission.  Some places make do with a general "you will be photographed and you give permission if you walk in here."  But I suspect that gives little or no legal protection if someone is inclined to object.

The technical aspects of how you know that person y has given permission and person z hasn't is equally thorny.  One person here simply does not allow any pictures taken of anyone who hasn't given a signed form, so they are comfortable that they can retrieve permission forms by date and if someone has an issue, they can point to that form.

This is not trivial, and there are many people who, for whatever reason simply do not want the museum to use their image on social networking sites.

Then there are related questions of video, people in the background, video used for research

Its not simple.

eric

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
without the consent of the sender.