ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:53:18 +0000

Good Afternoon Andrew,
Your demonstration reminds me of an "experiment" conducted very late one evening in the late 1960s at a well-respected, university (which will -- for now -- remain nameless)  Several engineering students in my dormitory, were discussing transfer of energy and the Law of Conservation of Momentum -- while consuming w-a-y too much coffee...... when one student said that dropping a bowling ball off the nearby football stadium would be an interesting experiment.  If my memory serves me correctly, the bowling ball was dropped off the top of the football stadium, it landed below on a concrete plaza and it then quickly bounced upwards to an unbelievable height.... then, as  the bowling ball was returning for its second trip to the concrete plaza, it hit a curb, and glanced off the curb in a westerly direction -- away from the stadium, thankfully missing the parked cars.  The bowling ball was recovered, not worse for the wear, and we all were duly impressed by observing such a memorable experiment.
Thanks for the reminding me of the memory,
Wesley
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs
Pink Palace Family of Museums
3050 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111
www.memphismuseums.org
Office 901.636.2370  new telephone number
FAX 901.636.2391  new FAX number

Please consider including the Pink Palace Family of Museums in your charitable giving plans
along with your other charitable interests.
Please visit all our great facilities as well as our website: www.memphismuseums.org Our mission: The Pink Palace Family of Museums inspires people to learn how history.science, technology and nature shape the mid-South. Through rich collections, thought-provoking exhibitions, and engaging programs, we encourage our diverse community to reflect on the past, understand the present, and influence the future