Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:10:38 -1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (70 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hi Nick,
The Science Education Team just began testing IPads as an offsite evaluation tool for our Bishop Museum Holoholo Science Education Outreach program. At present we collect email address and send the evaluation via Zoomerang, however only get a 20 to 30% response. I have done surveys with a teacher workshop (20 teachers) which was in my eyes very successful as it is much easier to collate the data than with a paper onsite evaluation on the day, or follow up email evaluation via Zoomerang. I have also found that responses tend to be much more succinct as well, in particular for open ended questions or comments. As many folks have a smart phone or are familiar with using an IPhone they were actually excited to use the IPad and to try it out as well. 

Challenges to date have been:

1. As this the current model is first generation I am hesitant to purchase more IPads at present until I see what features the 2nd generation has. 
2. Dependant on where your audience is, I would consider getting a 3G as opposed to relying purely on a nearby WiFi connection. However this is applicable to our outreach audiences. I am yet to test this at the actual Bishop Museum where there is a reliable WiFi Connection.
3. Testing has only been with adults however I am hesitant at this point to use with children unless can supervise them and the IPad is on 'kiosk' mode. I.e. To deter them from playing with the IPad Apps and connecting to the internet.
4. Older audiences who might not be comfortable with the touch screen keyboard or technology.

I am interested to hear more regarding how you have used the IPad with a portable projector. Is this through an App? One of our Planetarium staff has been trying to do this but has been unsuccessfull.

I hope the above helps and would love to hear others input.

Cheers
Amber

Amber Inwood
Senior Science Educator
Bishop Museum  

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Wood
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 8:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Ipads

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

We have been using Ipads informally with visitors for a few months now and they have been a great tool for a different kind of visitor engagement.  Mostly we have used them for one on one interaction with apps such as Touch Physics, Gravity, Planets etc, with a few innovations using a portable projector attached.   I am curious to hear how other science centres have used Ipads in innovative ways, as they seem to have been made for our field and I feel the use at our centre may only be scratching the surface.

Cheers,

Nick Wood
Acting Outreach Manager
Scitech

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2