ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amber Inwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:10:38 -1000

Hi Nick,
The Science Education Team just began testing IPads as an offsite evaluation tool for our Bishop Museum Holoholo Science Education Outreach program. At present we collect email address and send the evaluation via Zoomerang, however only get a 20 to 30% response. I have done surveys with a teacher workshop (20 teachers) which was in my eyes very successful as it is much easier to collate the data than with a paper onsite evaluation on the day, or follow up email evaluation via Zoomerang. I have also found that responses tend to be much more succinct as well, in particular for open ended questions or comments. As many folks have a smart phone or are familiar with using an IPhone they were actually excited to use the IPad and to try it out as well.

Challenges to date have been:

1. As this the current model is first generation I am hesitant to purchase more IPads at present until I see what features the 2nd generation has.
2. Dependant on where your audience is, I would consider getting a 3G as opposed to relying purely on a nearby WiFi connection. However this is applicable to our outreach audiences. I am yet to test this at the actual Bishop Museum where there is a reliable WiFi Connection.
3. Testing has only been with adults however I am hesitant at this point to use with children unless can supervise them and the IPad is on 'kiosk' mode. I.e. To deter them from playing with the IPad Apps and connecting to the internet.
4. Older audiences who might not be comfortable with the touch screen keyboard or technology.

I am interested to hear more regarding how you have used the IPad with a portable projector. Is this through an App? One of our Planetarium staff has been trying to do this but has been unsuccessfull.

I hope the above helps and would love to hear others input.

Cheers
Amber

Amber Inwood
Senior Science Educator