ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kevin Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 21:31:31 +0100

Some lessons from Exploratorium might help - Sherry Hsi from there wrote a great chapter in the following book about their experiments with mobile technologies. To sum up her insights:

- Content should be socially-relevant, educational, and actively personal.

- Select technology that matches the physical context of use so it becomes seamless with the user experience (See also the work of Falk & Dierking - support the personal, social, physical contexts)

- Online messaging succeeds when the design makes explicit when messages are private or public. (Visitors are confused & concerned about privacy in this area - interesting solution Explo. came up with was to create a kind of mobile-based social network for explainers, to help them answer visitors' questions)

- Design multimedia content to be compelling enough to provoke users try new things with exhibits, even in a setting that competes for social and physical attention.

- Designing personalization in technology can be a powerful lure, prompting people to try a physical exhibit and to check out media after heading home. So for example letting them take pictures of themselves using an exhibit, etc

- Using cutting-edge technology creates overhead for the experience. The age-old issue - visitors spend more time figuring out a new device than engaging with museum content. Thus, better to let them use their own devices if possible...

- While handhelds are good at content delivery, user-generated information on handhelds is more socially-relevant and interesting. (Hopefully this is obvious by now!)

- Create designs that encourage and promote broad participation from different audiences.

Hope that helps.

Oh, the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Technologies-Museum-Experience-Handheld/dp/0759111219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243922378&sr=8-1

(Sorry, not to promote my own work, just Sherry's!)