ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Fisher, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:16:47 -0400

The original COSI/Columbus had a cancer exhibition on their third floor in the Life Science Area. This would have been in the late 80's or early 90's, when I worked there. Not sure which of the people from that time are still working in the new building. Try calling (614-228-2674) Craig Kelley or Leonard Sparks for info.

Great exhibit, but it was somewhat controversial. For example,it had model breasts and testicles that visitors could feel for lumps. Interesting enough, the religious right was the most opposed to the exhibit, found it offensive. About a month after the exhibit opening, one of our high school volunteers did a self exam... and found a testicular lump. Turned out that he had the very early stages of a cancer, the doctors were able to cure him, the family shared this info with the media about how the exhibit saved their son's life, and we never heard any more complaints about the exhibition.

Martin S. Fisher
Director of Education
Nauticus, the National Maritime Center
One Waterside Drive
Norfolk, VA  23510
36°50'51"N   76°17'53"W   13 ft.
phone: (757) 664-1003, (800) 664-1080 ext. 41003
fax: (757) 623-1287    cell (757) 617-7080
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>        www.nauticus.org <http://www.nauticus.org>