ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Fisher, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:08:50 -0400

I apologize that I don't have any of my sports equipment catalogs here at work, so I can't give specific companies or model numbers.

For high climbing walls - You'll want the type of mats used for hard gymnastic landings and falls, or martial arts that involve a lot of hard throws (like judo and jujitsu, not karate). I'd recommend these because you'll need multiple mats that attach to each other with velcro, and each single mat will fold up for easy moving as needed. I would not recommend wrestling mats because if you need to move them often since they are very large "sheets". The size and weight will not allow them to be easy to move. If you are planning on keeping these mats in one place, at the foot of the climbing wall, and don't need to move them for special events, then go for a very thick wrestling mat. If you have a very, very high climbing wall, go for track-and-field high jump or pole vault mats (but be careful where you place the openings). For pulley chair exhibits - Wrestling mats might work because the falls are not from a great height, and you can even cut them to fit around the exhibit.

Some personal observations...
judo mats (like olympic quality) - good for hard falls for safety, probably the safest, but it still hurts.
gymnastics - same, but some types seem to wear down a little faster.
wrestling - can sting a little when you fall, need very, very thick ones for high falls (which doesn't really happen in wrestling) for a climbing wall.
track mats - thick, nice, soft and squishy, good for a high fall.

Note: You'll do fine with your requests of durable and easy to replace. However, NONE of these mats are cheap!! You will not find, and do not want cheap mats when dealing with potential hard falls. People involved in these types of sports can receive 3 types of injuries - external such as bruised butts and clunked noggins; bone/tendon/ligament tears or breaks; internal damage to organs due to the impact (Think about Newton's laws of Motion here.). Fortunately, I've only had injuries... from all 3.

Don't let time be a factor here. Go visit as many gymnastics and martial arts schools as you can to see and feel their mats. You'll only need to visit one high school to see their wrestling and track mats. Then, get the make/model numbers and next do an on-line search or go to a local sports supply place. Local stores might help with installation, but be more expensive. On-line or sports supply catalogs can save 10-20%. The best is if you can order directly from the manufacturer, but they won't always do this for individuals.

Once you have the mats, the way to check for "It's time to buy new ones" is to walk around on them and feel for large areas that are permanently indented or a little thinner in spots. That's where the inner core has started to break down due to impact. You can extend the life of your mats by rotating them every few months. Can't do that for wrestling mats.

Good luck, you might have some injuries anyway (because each person will fall in a different position), don't blame it on Newton.

Martin S. Fisher
Director of Education
Nauticus, the National Maritime Center
One Waterside Drive
Norfolk, VA  23510
36°50'51"N   76°17'53"W   13 ft.
phone: (757) 664-1003, (800) 664-1080 ext. 41003
fax: (757) 623-1287    cell (757) 617-7080
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>        www.nauticus.org <http://www.nauticus.org>