ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Parrucci, Lynn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:57:05 -0400

There were a few key notes in that particular story that you might be missing when you discuss capacity and pre-visit planning. Because it was raining, the mother decided to go to the science center instead of the local amusement park. So, I'm sure, did many other parents and school groups.

Because school groups often prepay with purchase orders, then collect cash for the trip, they too change their minds in inclement weather. We always had "surprise" groups show up on our doorstep who were originally scheduled for Kennywood, historic parks or the zoo. It wasn't just a few groups, a few occasions; it was every time it rained. In such cases, teachers and students, of course, are not prepared.  Capacity is, of course, extended.

The museum staff, who carry out those admissions policies Joe references, are in the business of creating memories and building loyalty.  They are trained to empathize with visitors.  It's not easy to greet the busses of children, who already have spent the last hour in transit and had their day rearranged, to say, "Sorry, you can't come here because we have enough school groups."

From my experience, some workable issues are of group supervision, museum staffing, space and timing. Carnegie staff would greet every bus with their schedule and expectations. Through radio communication, the front line staff would track down chaperones drinking coffee in the café or outside smoking and reunite them with unattended kids. We do the same at the Zoo. Extra staff and volunteers would create sponge (cart or table top) activities for kids who couldn't get to the exhibits. When budgets dwindle, because it is such a large line-item, this key staff and security are the first to be cut. The investment in front-line staff is one that I would always protect.

Space is another that I would protect. Supporting demonstrations and activities are as valuable as pre-planned visit activities. It is so valuable to have empty space where staff can pull 50+ kids off of the floor, sit them down and do a related demonstration or activity. Then, give them something to look for when they return to the exhibit. Their approach to the exhibit is much more engaged. It's funny though, it always seemed to me that empty space made developers and administrators cringe - like something they were driven to fill. Then the space gets cluttered with exhibits that may or may not work, work for only one or two people at a time or just don't engage the visitor. The opportunity for large group interaction is lost.  I admired Eddie Goldstein's work to incorporate such flexibility of space into Denver Museum's design.

Timing is another. The school group chaos, even in May, often winds down by 1:00, leaving plenty of time for members and families to enjoy an afternoon at the science center, museum, zoo...whatever. The mother may have had a completely different experience if she took her child out to lunch and visited in the afternoon. Marketing folks have yet to take me seriously when I say that there is value in finding a way to communicate a positive message to members and families that they will have a much better experience if they visit in the afternoon during the spring field trip season.

Lynn Parrucci
Director of Education - Group Programs

Philadelphia Zoo
3400 West Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19104-1196
Phone:  215-243-5243   Fax:  215-243-5602

Hi Katie,

Was there a 'thread' on this that I missed?  The writer describes the
typical school group visit that any one of us who has ever worked 3 days
in a science center (I say '3' because two of those days could have been
on a weekend day) has seen over and over again.  Surely, you're not
surprised by the described behavior. Additionally, the writer has a
pretty good understanding of the straights science centers find
themselves in over this issue, though perhaps she gives the center in
question more sympathy than it deserves. Working in science centers we
know that the admission policies of the our institutions are frequently
as much to blame as the school systems when a school group visit goes 'bad.'

Joe Ruggiero
www.TheExhibitGuys.com

The information in this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, dissemination or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete the communication.

The Philadelphia Zoo
3400 West Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19104-1196
Telephone: (215) 243-1100