ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sam Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 13:46:29 -0700

Hi Susan!

If you'll indulge me a minute to riff on your question, another way
to approach this is to look at what you might call "little s" science
moments.  The stuff that happens everyday in your community, but
still gets captured in the evening news with regularity at the
appropriate time of year.  The kinds of things that you can count on
happening every year at some point or time.

Hearkening back from my Midwest roots, things I'd explore in my
community:
- Leaves turning color in the fall
- Pot holes, pot holes, pot holes: why do we get so many of 'em?
- weather phenomena (for us: tornadoes...snow storms/lake effect...)
- What's up in the evening sky (taking time to just LOOK UP!)
- Birds & Butterflies in migration
- Lake freezing over
- Power outages (where does my power come from?  Now, and perhaps in
the future)
- Fluffy cloud watching
- Mayfly hatching (AKA "when NOT to ride your bike by the lake and
smile")

Although the big S announcements are great to dig into thinking about
cutting edge science, I also think that it's the little s moments
that form a web of curiosity about the world that scaffold everyday
question-asking and experimentation.  Are directly investigable,
perhaps, which leads to great open-ended investigation.  And can be
tuned to be directly relevant to your immediate community.  Many of
'em turn out to be great bridges to the local media, as well, as
these are the things that they report on every year (Why are there so
many potholes?  What about the big tornado that just came through?),
offering great cross-promotional opportunities and facetime/printspace.

Sorry if I'm going too far astray!

Best from the 'Splo-

Samdango

Sam Dean