ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sam Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:51:32 -0700

Hey Beryl!

Interesting question - a couple of things that pop into mind
immediately....Just freestyling here~

I'd check out:
www.designshare.com
An architectural collaborative that has an interest in powerful, new
school designs.  In many ways, matching the school spaces to better
meet emerging ideas in educational pedagogy and practice.
Definitely cross-over potential to museums and other, public
educational spaces...

They released a book on educational spaces/Language of School Design
that you may find interesting.   Worth a pick-up, for sure.  They
also have some of the samples from the book available online.
http://www.designshare.com/index.php/language-school-design

_________
Thinkering Spaces
http://www.id.iit.edu/ThinkeringSpaces/
ThinkeringSpace is a system, made of both physical and virtual
environments, that aims to promote creative and critical thinking
skills for the 21st century. Celebrating the book, it creates
opportunities for doing things together, sharing ideas and authoring
in new ways. Focused on school-aged children in libraries, the
project is part of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
Digital Media and Learning Initiative.
________
Ray Oldenburg:
The Great Good Place
http://books.google.com/books?id=0aOjHGdSKLMC&dq=Ray
+Oldenburg&pg=PP1&ots=sR3SUu-2ag&sig=IjyhFaGfWELBF7yoEs3NPHjHadY&hl=en&s
a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Third Places
Oldenburg identifies third places, or "great good places," as the
public places on neutral ground where people can gather and interact.
In contrast to first places (home) and second places (work), third
places allow people to put aside their concerns and simply enjoy the
company and conversation around them. Third places “host the regular,
voluntary, informal, and happily anticipated gatherings of
individuals beyond the realms of home and work.” Oldenburg suggests
that beer gardens, main streets, pubs, cafés, coffeehouses, post
offices, and other third places are the heart of a community's social
vitality and the foundation of a functioning democracy. They promote
social equality by leveling the status of guests, provide a setting
for grassroots politics, create habits of public association, and
offer psychological support to individuals and communities.

This, to me, is something that many museums are thinking about ~ how
are their spaces become more than a destination, more of an embedded
part of their everyday community fabric, a place where people come
for lively discussion, experiences, and social interaction.

________

White Oak Associates: Concept Capsules

Take a peek through their 140 ideas.  Some may pique your interest,
and then they usually have a source right next to it....

http://www.whiteoakassoc.com/pdf/conceptcapsules_v10_042720.pdf

________

I'll keep tucking into my research stash and see what emerges.
Beryl, would you mind summarizing other ideas that come in?  It's an
interesting topic, and I'd love to see what other ideas emerge...

Hope all's well on the East Coast!

Best-

Samson

Sam Dean