ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Dickow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:59:25 -0700

hi,

I know this may be late notice, but for those of you not yet on your way to
the conference in Philly:

This summer, I founded a non-profit science club (the West Side Science
Club) in my neighborhood for 7-12 year olds, many of them under-resourced
(I'm in Venice Beach). There's a core group of about 12 - 15 clubbers and we
meet on Saturday mornings and do science. I consider it informal science
education (actually, I think it's a big part of the wave of the future for
our field), a bit like the Science Spot concept, and I am wondering if any
of you have similar program experiences. Community-based programs, small or
large, after-school...whatever. I would like to know if any of you out there
would like to get together, informally, at ASTC and talk about our
experiences. I've partnered with a low-income housing group out here, but
for the most part, I'm a one-man show. I'd like to know what else is going
on.

I'm always up for conversation over a beer, etc., so if this sounds good,
email me back. I get into town tomorrow night and, depending on the
response, I'll send out a date, time and location. Otherwise, you can find
me slinking around the convention.

Hope you all travel safe and sound.
Ben

Ben Dickow