ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:23:31 -0500

Hi, Max and all:

Several months ago NSF made a very large grant to a consortium of
museums to enhance public understanding of nanoscale science and
technology.  The project is led by a consortium of museums, led by
Boston MOS, Minnesota, and the Exploratorium.  One of the first tasks
undertaken is a survey of the field of informal learning about
nanosciences, including a kind of meta-study of the existing research
and programs by Barbara Flagg.   The overall project is called the
NISE Network, and as it is a five year undertaking that is just
beginning, there will be a lot more information being developed and
shared...this being one of the goals of the project.

One of the myriad aspects of the NISE network is the creation of
exhibits about this topic.  This is being led by the Science Museum
of Minnesota, and there will a prototyping workshop for a half a
dozen exhibit elements this coming March.  So, we can share that info
as we move along.  There are several museum exhibitions and programs
either completed or underway.  I think Barbara Flagg's research
outlines these.  They include the work the Franklin is doing as
below, we are doing a similar project with Columbia's Materials
Research group.  Carl Batt of Cornell, along with Ithaca Science
Center and Tom Rockwell, has completed one exhibition "Its a Nano
World" and is prototyping a new one "Too Small to See" both of which
have well researched and creative hands on activities related to
nanosciences.  Lawrence Hall of Science did an exhibition about
nanosciences, Chicago is planning one, and there are some interesting
looking multimedia experiences we have learned about.

So, there is a lot of activity around this very complicated topic.
Let me know either on list or off if I can provide any further info.

Good luck!

Eric Siegel
Executive VP
    Programs and Planning