ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Edith Piaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:29:57 +0000

 reply to number 3 on Jesus, even as a Christian myself and also a scient
ist and business professor, many of us believe that although Jesus was th
e son of God, in our belief, that he was a human like the rest of us. So
he is not being demoted; many of us are not trinitarian and believe he wa
s as human as you and I

> De: Eugene Dillenburg <dillenburge@EART
HLINK.NET>
> A: [log in to unmask]
> Objet: Re: Science, r
eligion, BC, and AD
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:28:23 -0400

> <pre>IS
EN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related instit
utions.
***************

> What a bad idea!  It not only doesn't change anyth
ing, it actually makes
> maters worse for all concerned.
>
> 1)  The
objection to BC / AD is that it makes the birth of Jesus the focal
> poi
nt of history.  (One could make a compelling argument that, at least in

> the case of our Western civilization, that is indeed the case.)  The ne
> dating system does not change this -- Jesus' birth is still the zero
 point.

> 2)  By changing to an unusual, unfamiliar dating system, y
ou are in fact
> drawing attention to the very thing you are trying to d
ownplay.

> 3)  The change is offensive to Christians -- who are stil
l the majority of
> visitors in almost all of our institutions -- by "de
moting" Jesus and
> replacing Him with a human creation.
>
> 4)  The
change is offensive to non-Christians: calling a Christ-centered
> datin
g system "common" implies that all other belief systems are "uncommon"

 -- unusual, out of the ordinary, minor.

> 5)  BC / AD is pretty muc
h a non-issue to begin with.  It came up years ago
> at a museum I worke
d for, and I asked a co-worker (Orthodox Jewish) for his
> opinion.  He
thought I was patronizing him.  Look, he explained, every month
> when I
 write my mortgage check, I use a year based on Christianity, a month

based on Roman mythology, a day based on Nordic mythology, and a number t
hat
> probably had some mystical significance to the Babylonians.  Etymo
logy is
> not evangelism; my faith is strong enough to withstand other p
eople having
> their own.
>
> Eugene Dillenburg
> Exhibit Developer

> Science Museum of Minnesota
>

> On Mon,
18 Apr 2005 19:14:38 -0400, David Smith

**********************************

> >While we are all busy discuss
ing science and religion, may I offer a
> >request for all those of you
who use dates in the historical era on your
> >center signage to use the
 CE, BCE (Common Era, Before the Common Era)
> >nomenclature instead of
AD and BC.  Both of the latter refer explicity
> >to Christ, and AD refe
rs explicitly to Christ's divinity, making CE/BCE
> >a more inclusive us
age.  The years are counted identically, this is 2005
> >CE, so there's
no issue of conversion, just a change in initials.  For
> >more see the
wikipedia entry: <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era.>http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era.</a>>

> >David L Smith
> >Directo
r of Professional Development
> >Da Vinci DiscoveryCenter of Science and
 Technology
**********************
> >More information about the Informal Science Ed
ucation Network and the
> >Association of Science-Technology Centers may
 be found at <a href=http://www.astc.org.>http://www.astc.org.</a>>To rem
ove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> >message
SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
oft.com.

C est le moment de dynamiser votre boîte mail en découvrant les offres CaraMail Max et Pro - http://www.caramail.com