ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:32:57 -0500

I'm also using wiimotes hacks based on Johny's work:  I thought the 3D
headtracking program and cheap multi-touch interface were the most
promising for a demonstration in my gallery. (Just be prepared to fiddle
with bluetooth drivers!  I had to load an older driver to get mine to
work!)  I could also envision  wiihacking as a summer science camp
program.

There are many easy hacks out there where you can re-purpose hardware. The
best way to stay on top of these is by following Make magazine, digg.com's
and Slashdot.com's technology stories, and hackaday.com (lots of hacks
here!).   Of course, for wiimotes, wiimoteproject.com is a great start.

Frank Kusiak
Cyberville Gallery Leader
Saint Louis Science Center
5050 Oakland Ave
St. Louis, MO 63110
Office:  1-314-286-4659
Fax:  1-314-286-4606

David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Informal Science Education Network
04/27/2008 06:37 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Exhibit Inspiration: Hacking Wiimotes

institutions.

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Centers
> institutions.

> For those of us struggling with creative ways to use technology-based
> exhibits inside our museums,  I thought folks might enjoy this blog
entry
> about Johnny Lee, the Carnegie Mellon researcher who "hacks" Wii remotes
> create cheap and cool creations:  <http://blog.orselli.net/>

I just built the Wiimote Whiteboard last week - it works great, even with
the very crude pointer I made.

What really impressed me was the timeline.  Johnny Lee put this up on You
Tube after he worked it out and a few months later a game company is
implementing the technology.  When technology is being implemented on a
six
month development cycle and it takes schools a five year cycle to make
what
is essentially a cosmetic change of textbooks, there is a huge gap that
science centers can help to fill, although traditional demonstration
exhibitry isn't going to do it either. I'm doing a lot of thinking about
what it means to teach people how to do this kind of development.  I don't
have any answers, but I'm very curious what others are thinking.

Dave Smith

--
David L. Smith
Da Vinci Science Center

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and
the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at
www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft.
To learn more, visit