ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:37:24 -0400

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> institutions.

> For those of us struggling with creative ways to use technology-based
> exhibits inside our museums,  I thought folks might enjoy this blog entry
> about Johnny Lee, the Carnegie Mellon researcher who "hacks" Wii remotes to
> create cheap and cool creations:  <http://blog.orselli.net/>

I just built the Wiimote Whiteboard last week - it works great, even with
the very crude pointer I made.

What really impressed me was the timeline.  Johnny Lee put this up on You
Tube after he worked it out and a few months later a game company is
implementing the technology.  When technology is being implemented on a six
month development cycle and it takes schools a five year cycle to make what
is essentially a cosmetic change of textbooks, there is a huge gap that
science centers can help to fill, although traditional demonstration
exhibitry isn't going to do it either. I'm doing a lot of thinking about
what it means to teach people how to do this kind of development.  I don't
have any answers, but I'm very curious what others are thinking.

Dave Smith

--
David L. Smith
Da Vinci Science Center