ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:02:24 -0500

Ditto on using regular cheap DVD players that can be set up (with the remote control each day) to auto-repeat.

We've used several of the Samsungs because they were cheap ($60 or so).  One had to be replaced after 1 1/2 years or so;  the folks at Best Buy claim you should buy their service plan and get them "cleaned" once a year, whatever that may mean.  In addition, Consumer Reports just rated DVD players (Dec 2004, page 24) and some had significantly higher repair rates than others.

I haven't found a DVD player that power cycles with the breaker, so that it comes on automatically in the morning when the breakers are turned on, as many TVs will do.  Of course this assumes your DVD is programmed to autorepeat all by itself, which we've had done with some custom video projects..

Kathy Krafft
Director of Exhibits
Sciencenter
Ithaca NY