ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:37:02 -0500

Ah, not so fast, Ian.

As one of the advisors to Project APE, I'd say that the range of
exhibit parameters and ways of thinking about  "Active Prolonged
Engagement" is not so easily dismissed.

In the U.S., there are plenty of educators and academics interested
in play involved in the American Association for the Child’s Right to
Play <http://www.ipausa.org/>   for example.

Not to mention organizations like "Right To Play" <http://
www.righttoplay.com> and "KaBOOM!" <http://www.kaboom.org/>.

One interesting thing that much of this discussion of "visitor guided
experiences"  and "free choice learning" shares are two other "P"
words beside "PLAY", namely "PROCESS"  and "PASSION".   Too many
exhibits in all types of museums seem overly concerned with "right
answers", or products, rather than the process and passion behind
those things .

I wish every visitor to an art museum could try their hand at messing
around inside an interactive studio environment with the types of
paints or clay that an ancient Egyptian or Picasso or a modern artist
might have used; to investigate artistic process, as well as seeing
"finished" paintings and pottery in the galleries.  In a comparable
way, I wish there were even more wonderful opportunities in science
museums for visitors to get excited about using some of the "building
blocks" of science such as observation, testing, and
experimentation.  (Even if they don't call them that!)

Some of my favorite playful/APE/constructivist/Museum 2.0  exhibit
experiences do seem to share some subtle framing mechanisms, that
increase visitors' engagement.  That sets these types of exhibit
experiences apart from someone just tossing a pile of sticks and
crayons on the floor and calling it a "visitor-directed creativity
exhibit"

To that end, I think you'd be hard pressed to find more interesting
musings about the process of creating, evaluating, changing, and yes,
struggling, with making more engaging exhibit experiences and
environments than those found in the Project APE book.
<http://www.astc.org/pubs/ape.htm>

Playfully yours,

On Nov 16, 2006, at 6:00 AM, Ian Russell wrote:

> But isn't it interesting that 'play' is such a tricky word to sell
> to educators and academics? it was apparently necessary to re-name
> 'play' as 'Active Prolonged Engagement' for a four-year project
> funded by the National Science Foundation, subsequently documented
> with a publication, conference presentations, and journal articles...

Paul Orselli, President and Chief Instigator

Paul Orselli Workshop (POW!)
1684 Victoria Street
Baldwin, NY  11510

www.orselli.net