ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2007 16:26:21 -0700

Hey All,

At the beginning of this thread, I wrote a reply and think I made a
mistake in sending it, so I thought I try again:

Most of the physiological measurements are cheap and generally easy.
Did them years and years ago.  Stable electrode contacts and and
stable contacts generally are the biggest problem.  It's most human
engineering.

Since lie detectors don't work as such, I wouldn't continue to push
the myth.

The APA sponsored Psychology show had a good GSR in it that involved
a race between the tortoise and hare.  The hare's speed was
dynamically controlled by it's progress towards the finish…and the
tortoise just plodded along.  I thought that was a lot of fun.

Thinking about it more:  The term "polygraph" refers to multiple
traces and strictly it's a series of physiological measurements. From
my experience, there is gross confusion about the use of polygraphs,
lie detectors, and other widgets exists, it becomes a very hard topic
to adequately present without instigating further confusion.  It's
part of their "charm," and curse.

On May 12, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Amanda Chesworth wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
> *******
>
> Diana writes:
>
> As long as we present such exhibits as described above, I would like
> to argue that science museums should not avoid them (afraid that
> visitors may come to wrong conclusions) but strive to embed them in
> such a way that their message is crystal clear and straightforward
> for everyone, with no room for misinterpretation.
>
>>> I agree Diana. I think there are excellent opportunities to
>>> present phenomena like this and provide the type of information
>>> you describe.. the misuses, what science knows and doesn't know,
>>> skeptical perspectives, etc.
>
>>> Apologies for being so harsh in my previous response on
>>> polygraphs. I'm currently drowning in reports of where the
>>> boundaries between science and pseudoscience are bring blurred.
>>> It seems to me this has been getting worse in the past few years
>>> and I'm noticing the effects on children and their understanding
>>> of the physical universe. Science literacy continues to diminish.
>
> Best,
> Amanda
>
> * * *
> Amanda Chesworth
> Educational Director, Children's Programming
> Committee for Skeptical Inquiry
> http://www.csicop.org
> http://www.inquiringminds.org
> http://www.campinquiry.org
> *
> Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://
> www.astc.org.
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
> Soft. To learn more, visit

Charles Carlson
Director of Life Sciences
exploratorium