ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:08:00 -0700

STEM at any cost!  Of course this kinda stuff is big hit.  As a nine year old, operating construction equipment of every sort from D9 cats, to road graders and shovels provided endless hours of entertainment.  Most of this occurred in our imaginations after scampering up ladders or trundling over treads, to claim the coveted operators chair, and seizing the various control levers.  On rare occasions, some knowledgeable 12 year old would figure out how to fire up the diesel engine, which would sometimes idle over the weekend to our great wonder.

Such was growing up in a rapidly developing set of newly planned and developing suburbs.  It took a few years for the construction companies to figure out the compelling attractive nuisance features of big equipment and it's compelling power over mostly young boys, but they finally short circuited the experience, and now we're envisioning safe experiences in museums.

Sent from Charlie's iPad

Berkeley, CA
Mobile 510-499-8086
Skypein: (510) 984-3543