ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:11:47 +0000

At 17:25 10/01/2007, Amanda wrote:
>This forces me to conclude, considering the probability curve,
>that it is very unlikely that god claims have any merit. Atheism (which
>literally means 'without theism' and *not* "claims god doesn't exist") is
>therefore a reasonable position to hold.

After so much useful progress has been made in
our discussion, I simply can't let this pass,
Amanda. Previously you preferred to avoid
describing the position of science in terms of atheism or agnosticism.

At 21:26 03/01/2007, Amanda wrote:
>I prefer the descriptive word "oblivious".

...and I agreed this is a fair description of
science in relation to religion, though it is
much closer to the Oxford Dictionary definition
of agnosticism than it is to atheism.

Compact Oxford English Dictionary
http://www.askoxford.com/dictionaries/compact_oed/?view=uk

atheism

• noun: the belief that God does not exist.

— DERIVATIVES atheist noun; atheistic adjective; atheistical adjective.

— ORIGIN from Greek a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god’.

agnostic

• noun: a person who believes that nothing can be
known concerning the existence of God.

• adjective: relating to agnostics.

— DERIVATIVES agnosticism noun.

You argue, Amanda, that atheism is a reasonable
position for a person to hold, if they are
unwilling to trust anything other than that which
can be observed and measured. Again, I agree, even though I am not an atheist.

But the personal beliefs of individual scientists
and science communicators are not the issue here.
The issue is the public's perception of the
position of SCIENCE with respect to beliefs which
a high percentage of our target audience hold
very dearly indeed. The central territory of
these beliefs does not conflict with science,
only certain peripheral add-ons such as
'intelligent design' and 'young-earth
creationism'. According to the final page of
Darwin's Origin of Species, even belief in a
creator need not conflict with science (which is
why I always carefully refer to 'militant creationism').

Much as I would like to argue the case for a
concept of a Creator and Sustainer far more
beautiful, comprehensive and intellectually
satisfying than the travesty currently promoted
by some and trashed by others, I am not doing
that here. I am just trying to show that this
huge science communication problem is not going
to be solved if we allow our purely personal
views on religion to damage public confidence in the impartiality of science.

T H Huxley, Darwin's original (and best?)
bulldog, originally coined the term 'agnostic'
precisely for this purpose, merciless as he was
with those who argued against Darwinism in the name of religion.

To win this fight, we first need to persuade
insensitive 'crusading atheists' on the Darwinism
Side to identify their targets more accurately
and stop this unacceptable collateral damage.
Then we can work to convince the public what we
have agreed in this discussion, that the core
beliefs of the Creation Side need not conflict
with science. The majority of the tacit support
for the ID Campaign would quickly evaporate.

There is growing Christian opposition to militant
creationism, for example see:
http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=5750&t=UK+Christians%2C+humanists+against+creationism

Darwin also has his church mice. We are breeding
fast and effectively nibbling away inside
structures that resist all other attacks. Don't let anyone squash us.

[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell