HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 1994 16:50:15 EDT
I have followed the discussion of my question about the appropriateness of
non-African Americans studying African-American sites with much interest.  I
would like to use some of the responses in my newsletter.  Is there a
protocol for this?  Does anyone object?

While I tend to agree with those who feel that the ethnicity of the
researcher should not enter into his/her ability to study sites of another
ethnic group (after all what is anthropology), I also agree that it is vital
to gather as much information about a site or site's occupants as possible
(after all what is anthropology).  What I found lacking in the discussion
were African-American voices.  Are there no African-Americans out there in
Internet-land to speak for themselves?

Tom Wheaton
New South Associates