HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:25:31 -0700
Dr. Schyler and HISTARCHers:

Just to beat this dead horse a little more:

I was searching some of my Alaska newspaper notes yesterday afternoon for a
short research paper I'm doing on price fixing in saloons. I found these
two advertisements for used bottles. Both were from the Skagway, Alaska
daily newspaper. To make cost comparisons, I've found a good inflation
adjustment calculator at http://www.westegg.com/inflation/.

The Seattle saloon advertises that it will buy wine bottles for 20 cents
per dozen (The Daily Alaskan, February 20, 1902, "Bottles Wanted," page 1).

The Skagway Brewery offers a 25-cent rebate on a dozen bottles. "Our
Bottled Beer Only $2.00 Per Dozen 25¢ Rebate on Bottles" (The Daily
Alaskan, June 16, 1903, page 4).

Cathy Spude