HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:13:39 -0600
Ellen Marlatt:

Perhaps you are talking about one of my papers? I've given two or three at
the annual conferences of the Society for Historical Archeology in invited
sessions on feminist archeology offering solid statistical data that shows
that there is indeed a strong correlation between the high frequency of
pharmaceutical bottles and the presence of women on a site, by comparing
them with similar sites that are known to have only men on them. I was
surprised myself that the evidence substantiated what I also considered a
myth.

Please send me your address off line. I will be happy to send you a copy of
a paper that addresses the issue directly. I would like to get a candid
review of what you consider the weakness or "myth" in my evidence.

                      Ellen Marlatt
                      <emarlatt@INDEPENDENTARCHA        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      EOLOGY.COM>                       cc:
                      Sent by: HISTORICAL               Subject:  Myth Busting
                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      04/16/02 03:31 PM AST
                      Please respond to
                      HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

Have you ever listened to papers at professional archaeological meetings,
historical society talks, or been privy to conversations among colleagues
in which some (at best) naive or horrendously inaccurate assumption gets
repeated over and over?  My favorite is the supposition that the discovery
of patent medicine bottles on any site is tantamount to alcoholic behavior
-- especially if there are women in the household.

Well, now is your chance to challenge some of these myths that have been
crying out for rectification!!  As the deadline for SHA papers submissions
approaches, Kathy Wheeler and I are trying to put together a symposium that
we hope will shed light on some of these twisted but entrenched ideas.   If
you have a pet peeve regarding an unfair bias (for example -- "you can
learn nothing from using metal detectors"), a prejudicial approach ("no
valuable scholarship is possible in CRM"), or anything else that makes your
blood boil, we invite you to be part of this symposium.  Please contact
Kathy or myself offline with your ideas (and abstracts) as soon as
possible.

Kathleen Wheeler
Ellen Marlatt

IAC, LLC