HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Springate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:32:27 -0400
I think this is a great discussion to have; I think a lot of us have not
really considered the long term issues with data storage, and with the
relatively recent advent of high capacity digital storage, we've not had
to think about things like outdated hardware/software before.

I have been "caught out" by outdated hardware... I stored hundreds of site
photos on a proprietary external drive. In the short 5 years I was working
with this data, a) the drive manufacturer stopped making the hardware b)
the drive manufacturer stopped updating their drivers to be compatible
with the new operating systems c) the drive manufacturer stopped
supporting the hardware/software altogether and d) both of the external
drives I had failed. I could not get them to read any of the disks for
love nor money.

Fortunately, all was not lost, and I was able to find someone (almost a
complete stranger) to transfer the data to CDs for me. But it was a close
call.

Increasingly, my vote for storage is microfilm / microfiche. Compact,
archival, and even if we enter a new Dark Age, readable with a simple
light source and magnifying lens.

--Megan Springate.