HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:18:49 -0400
The secret is redundancy. No place is safe. Lots of irreplaceable
archives are lost to fires, floods, mudslides, volcanoes, etc every
year. My brother makes his living recovering and remastering material
for the big movie studios, TV networks, and lots of other
organizations. You have watched or listened to many of the results of
his ability to recover data. Many of his clients will not allow him
to say that he has worked for them. All of them thought their
archives were securely stored.

He recommends putting digital data on hard drives, making copies and
periodically (generally this is every three years) doing it all over
again.