HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
BERNARD FONTANA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BERNARD FONTANA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:21:15 -0700
I am saddened to learn about David Armour's early (to me) death, but
gladdened to have all the details provided by his widow about this wonderful
man.
    Most members of the SHA are probably unaware of what an "iffy"
proposition the future of the society was at its inception.  Finding someone
to assume the task of editing and overseeing production of an academic
journal, even if publishing only once yearly, was no small matter.  And if
memory serves me, which admittedly it seems to do less with each passing
month, David took on the task pro bono.  He did a wonderful job in trying
times and successfully launched the journal on the path it has followed to
the present.  His editorship started with the second issue in 1968.
    I remember David as a kind, gentle, and generous person, one of the few
academically trained historians who had an abiding interest in archaeology.
Most professional North American historians in those years tended to regard
archaeology, if they regarded it at all, as a harmless hobby with nothing
serious to contribute to an understanding of our recent past.  An historian
with an interest in archaeology was not on a trajectory to rapid promotionin
the groves of academe nor, unhappily, likely to be fully acccredited by his
archaeological colleagues -- nearly all of whom were then trained as
anthropologists.  It was a measure of David's curiosity, love of learning,
and enthusiasm that enabled him to tread where few in his position would
have been willing to do.  And all of us are in his debt.
    Rest in peace, old friend.
    Bunny Fontana