HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew Palus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2013 19:17:24 -0500
Megan,

Carol McDavid once spoke about a site, maybe it was a bar, in Dallas
(I think?) where a LGBTQ community had traditionally deposited
cremations in a garden or planters or something along those lines. She
raised it as an issue that should be thought of as heritage, but was
challenging to preservation frameworks for obvious reasons.

She'll probably chirp up on the list, but this came to my mind
immediately.

Also, there are so many straight-up massacre sites... I learned about
the historic and deadly arson of the Upstairs Lounge in New Orleans
recently, it was in the papers on the anniversary of the attack, and I
can't think of a better example of a site that needs memorialization
but I don't know how many sites like these are actually on state
inventories.

Wherever you go with this I'll be very interested to hear about your
findings.

Peace,

Matt