HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sean winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2013 09:43:34 +0800
I attempted to examine 19th century Western Australian convict sites as
potential sites of homosexual activity, given the historical hysteria
surrounding potential sexual activity between male convicts. The
documentary record is full of references to the necessity of preventing
"unnatural acts" between convicts, although there is limited actual
evidence of these occuring. The general perception amongst historians is
that much of the hysteria was anti-convict propaganda based in attempts to
demonise convicts and end convict transportation to Australia.

Nevertheless, following Matthews (2000) - (full reference below) I examined
the sites for evidence of homosexual relationships between convicts. This
was part of a larger attempt to investigate how convicts enacted personal
relationships in a colony where there was a stigma against them to begin
with and where there were two men for every woman. I found absolutely zip.
Matthews (2000) contends that much of the material culture related to
homosexuality will be everyday items reused and that the historical
tendency of LGBTQ people to act covertly to avoid sanction, means that
identifying queer behaviour within the archaeological record will be
difficult.

If you want more info email me off list and I'll be happy to discuss it
further. Here's the reference:

Matthews, K. 2000. The Material Culture of the Homosexual Male: A Case
Study for Archaeological Exploration. In: Donald, M., & Hurcombe, Linda.
(ed.) Gender and Material Culture in Archaeological Perspective, 3-17.
Houndsmill: Palgrave Macmillan.