HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Daniel B. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:07:11 -0400
Yep, burial cases sound like vaults, which are still in use. They are
typically not required by law, but are often required by perpetual care
(i.e., commercial) cemeteries for interment. They keep the ground from
slumping in - they may also have had an incidental start in the late 1800s
to early 1900s as a way to deter grave robbers.