HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Shannon Dawdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 11:58:18 -0500
This string on blacksmith floors has gotten me thinking.  I just excavated an
area behind a plantation house (1765-1882) that possessed a strange stratum
of rock-hard rust and coal concretions.  It took hours of chiseling to get
through this ca. 8 cm layer.  Sometimes coming out in chunks, but never
having any identifiable metal core, this presumed slag appears to be
about 70% unidentifiable iron and 30% coal & clinker.

Does anyone recognize this?  Is it blacksmith waste?  I presume whatever it
is was deposited as a "mud-step" or path behind the house, taking the place
of the gravel we lack here in Southeast Louisiana.

Any references on slag?

-- Shannon Dawdy
Greater New Orleans Archaeology Program
University of New Orleans