HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marsha King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 16:57:32 -0600
A co-worker is trying to find information concerning German/Mexican
trade silver, which we understand is a nickel alloy, items used on the
Southern Great Plains during the late 19th c.  Specifically, we have a pair
of beaded leather moccasin leggings (proably Arapaho, Kiowa, or
Comanche) with multiple stamped silver conchos.  We would appreciate
any information on German/Mexican silver (e.g., how/where the
American Indians acquired the material; how it was altered and used;
etc.).  Suggestions of references/published sources with additional
information would also be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Marsha King
Special Projects Archeologist