HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2017 14:20:00 -0400
Hi, Geoff
 There is certainly some overlap, because we experience and interpret the world through our own bodies, but current interest in the senses in archaeology, anthropology, and other social sciences is grounded in understanding how the senses operate physiologically (sensory stimuli, neurological pathways to the brain, how the brain impacts perception), as well as culturally. From there, we argue that past (and present) human activities should be studied and interpreted with explicit recognition of the impact of the senses (sound, repetitive bodily motion, or taste, for example) on those activities.

 Best,
Karen