HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2018 16:29:01 -0400
Call for Papers:
Sensory Engagement in Historical Archaeology

Council for Northeast Historical Archaeology, Halifax,Nova Scotia, Oct. 18-21

Session Chair: Karen Metheny
Discussant: Mary C. Beaudry

While advancements in technology are a central theme ofthe 2018 CNEHA conference, sensory approaches in historical archaeology areequally germane, whether we are investigating food and foodways practices, orengaging with sensorial data in other contexts. Indeed, new technologies and awealth of new scientific data call for the use of sensory approaches to connectthe data to social and cultural practice as well as group and individualsensory experience. In this session we wish to continue our discussion of themethods and approaches that afford historical archaeologists insight intosensory experience in the past, and how such approaches help to contextualizethe data now available by new technologies. What are the outcomes ofarchaeological engagement with the senses?

Submissions can be wide-ranging in content, from studiesthat examine different forms of work (fishing, factory work, domestic labor, orprostitution, for example), to travel and movement, confinement and immobility,archaeoacoustics, or gastronomical archaeology, to studies of the impact oflight or scent on the environment, to research methods that promote sensoryengagement and study. We welcome contributions that examine the interconnectionof the senses and changing identity among immigrant or ethnic groups, or withinindustrial or urban communities. Papers that explore the relationship amonghuman activities, the senses, and the formation of identities based on gender,class, work, race, or imagined communities are also welcome, as arecontributions that are explicitly theoretical in content.

Please submit abstracts of 150 words or less [log in to unmask]