HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:40:05 -0500
Susan,

I don't know what part of the country that you're working in, but
"frost spalling" is a relatively common phenomenon ...

Essentially, moisture gets into the porous fabric of the pottery and
it splits the pottery when it freezes during the winter.  It
certainly does not happen all the time, but it does occur with some
regularity.  Sometimes just the glaze spalls off the fabric, but the
fabric itself can split.

Mark

--

Mark C. Branstner, RPA
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois State Archaeological Survey
Institute of Natural Resource Sustainability
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

When you think of that perfect retort five minutes after the
conversation is over -  that's when you're:

  "... bursting with the belated eloquence of the inarticulate ..."

Edith Wharton in the "The Age of Innocence"