HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
MARK HENDERSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 12:50:19 -0800
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
gov, [log in to unmask]
Subject: 1996 Summer Field Schools-Reply

        On Friday March 8 1996  Brian M. Decker wrote that he was  "...looking
for info on any 6-credit field schools being offered this summer,
preferrably by a New York State institution, but anything inexpensive
will be sufficient."  I have been bounced from the address given
([log in to unmask]) so I beg forgiveness from others on the list if
this is a bother (although maybe others will have something to
add?).

        Brian M. Decker: In your pursuit of summer field schools  in
archeology have you checked out the listing published by the
Archaeological Institute of America titled  Archaeological Fieldwork
Opportunities Bulletin(AIA-FOB) [
http://www.he.net/~archaeol/index.html ]?  Also have you checked out
the Newsletter of the Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA)?  The
March issue contains a number of Historical Archaeology Field Schools
(for more info  on SHA set your browser to
http://www.azstarnet.com/~sha).

        There is also an incomplete listing
of field opportunities at http://durendal.cit.cornell.edu/TestPit.html
.   The AIA FOB is much more complete but may not include listings
submitted after publication cut-offs.  As a response to similar
inquiries and postings to the ARCH-L list, Mary Carrol of the NPS
National Center for Preservation Tecnology and Training offered to
start posting Field Schools on the NCPTT Web Site (
http://www.cr.nps.gov/ncptt ).  I believe that this offer would be an
incredible public service if we can suppot Mary in this endeavor.

        And
now my personal plug-If you are interested specifically in historical
archaeology and do decide to leave New York you might consider a field
school offered this summer by the University of Nevada Reno which my
office (BLM) is assisting with (This school is listed in the AIA FOB).
For more information on any of these leads respond to me off the list
please at the e-mail address above or by phone (702-289-1869).  Good
luck on your field school search and at least let me know where you end
up going.  Mark Henderson, USDI-BLM Ely, Nevada
.