HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
michael gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2017 21:04:12 -0500
Greetings Martha,

In case you have not considered it, the Digital Archaeological Archive of
Comparative Slavery (http://daacsrc.org) may include slate pencils if
researchers recovered such artifacts on any of the sites included in the
archive.

The only books that I'm familiar with--at least through circa 2008--that
may provide answers to Bob's questions and hence general historical context
are as follows:

Cornelius, Janet D.
1992   *When I Can Read My Title Clear: Literacy, Slavery, and Religion in
the Antebellum South* (not sure of the press).

Williams, Heather Andrea
2005   *Self Taught: African American Education in Slavery and Freedom*. (I
think this is the U of NC Press).

Anyway, my three cents worth.

my best,

mike

michael m. gregory, phd
Director, Camp Douglas Restoration Foundation, Inc.
4807 West Woodlawn Court

campdouglas.org